The Housemaid’s Secret by Frieda McFadden


Genre:
Thriller, SuspenseFormat: Print, PaperbackPages: 307Start Date: April 23, 2024End Date: April 24, 2024
My RatingsOverall: ★★★★Character Development: ★★★★Ending: ★★★Suspense Level: 🔪🔪🔪Pace: Super QuickRecommend: YesTriggers: Mentions of Domestic Abuse
Summary - Goodreads“Don’t go in the guest bedroom.” A shadow falls on Douglas Garrick’s face as he touches the door with his fingertips. “My wife… she’s very ill.” As he continues showing me their incredible penthouse apartment, I have a terrible feeling about the woman behind closed doors. But I can’t risk losing this job—not if I want to keep my darkest secret safe…
It’s hard to find an employer who doesn’t ask too many questions about my past. So I thank my lucky stars that the Garricks miraculously give me a job, cleaning their stunning penthouse with views across the city and preparing fancy meals in their shiny kitchen. I can work here for a while, stay quiet until I get what I want.
It’s almost perfect. But I still haven’t met Mrs Garrick, or seen inside the guest bedroom. I’m sure I hear her crying. I notice spots of blood around the neck of her white nightgowns when I’m doing laundry. And one day I can’t help but knock on the door. When it gently swings open, what I see inside changes everything…
That’s when I make a promise. After all, I’ve done this before. I can protect Mrs Garrick while keeping my own secrets locked up safe. Douglas Garrick has done wrong. He is going to pay. It’s simply a question of how far I’m willing to go…
My Thoughts - Contains Spoilers, Continue at Your Own RiskI expected this book to go in a whole other direction, they left us thinking she was off to be the murderess savior to victims of domestic abuse. Now clearly you can't go on some murdering spree without getting caught, so I do like how the author explained that Millie & Enzo would help the women escape. I just feel like it was quickly explained & pushed back so quickly to get on with it. I'm still convinced there needs to be a back story on the mother/son relationship in the first book, but maybe I'm alone on this - let me know in the comments.
I read this book in 24 hours hours. Partly because it's a quickly & easy read, but also because I loved the first book so I was so curious whether or not I'd like this one just much. I loved how the author made it almost predictable & then switched it up on us just when you thought you had it all figured out.
Hannah's Questions:
  1. Did you find it odd that Enzo could never go back to Italy, then all of a sudden everything was fine and there was nothing more offered? I would have loved to know more about what happened to those bad men..... Is Enzo part of some kind of Italian mob? Would explain all the "guys" he knows for everything. I feel like I need more about this! I honestly hadn't thought of this, but that's a super good point. Something went down for sure!
  2. Did you ever doubt Enzo? I personally suspected him for a bit when Wendy revealed Daniel was at the farm waiting for her. Mostly because I didn't suspect the Russel twist. I didn't, I was surprised to find out he had been following her, but once I did I couldn't figure out why he wouldn't just have told her he was there!
  3. Were you suprised by Marybeth killing Wendy and Russel? I was, and am a little undecided on whether or not I feel like someone that sweet natured would be capable of a double murder. I wasn't actually. Love & betrayal can make you insane. I was so sad for her actually, to think you're in a loving & committed relationship only for him to muck it all up with a selfish woman, who essentially was just using the dope.
  4. Did you think Brock was going to forgive Millie at any point of the book? I was hoping that was NOT the reason for him visiting her after they broke up. I don't know that she needs forgiveness, I get that it's soul crushing to love someone more than they love you, but would you want someone to fake it just for your benefit? I'd take the heartbreak earlier than later personally.
  5. How did you feel about the dynamic of Wendy and Russel? He seemed just too ok with murder in my opinion, even if he was more go with the flow and she was more the pants of the relationship. I think some people are just weak, they are followers & if someone says jump they ask "how high". All to please someone that doesn't actually care for them. Wendy was self serving & probably never even cared about Russel, I don't think she could love anything or anyone outside of herself.
I'm Curious
  1. We're you satisfied with the explanation of how Millie got out of helping DV victims & back into being a housemaid?
  2. Were you at all suspicious of Wendy or were your eyes set on her husband?
  3. Were you at all suspicious of Brock? His character reeked of desperation in my opinion & made me think he was sinister (that might say more about me than him)
  4. What do you think is next for Millie? Do you think her & Enzo will start fresh together?
  5. What are your thoughts about women that marry for money? Do you think it is justified if their intent is only to better themselves?

Next Book: Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Comments

Popular Posts