Saving Rain by Kelsey Kingsley


Genre: Contemporary
Format: Digital
Pages: 476
Start Date: July 29th, 2023
End Date: July 31st, 2023
Overall: ★★★★
Character Development: ★★★ ★
Ending: ★★ ★ ★
Recommend: Yes

 🚨 May Contain Spoilers, Continue at Your Own Risk 🚨

Saving Rain was my 16th & final book of July - This book popped up on my instagram feed & I decided to give it a go. I wasn’t prepared for how heart wrenching this story was, starting out from the very beginning of life through all the trials & tribulations, Solider the main character, went through. 

We are there to experience his entrance into the world. The first thing his mother wished for him was to be her savior, which is how he received his name. Were you expecting a happy ending with this beginning? I did think this would be a story of recovery for Diane, that the arrival of her little boy would “save her” to to speak. Were you surprised when that wasn’t the case? Surprised, no. Saddened, deeply. He didn’t deserve to experience life in that way, no child does. I was happy for his grandparents being there for him when he was young. Did you think poorly of Solider when he began selling drugs? I didn’t think poorly of him for that to be honest, he was just trying to survive. I do wish he had asked for help, but I know that is easier said than done. I also wish he had not sold to friends, but I get that he saw it as “if I’m supplying, I can control how much they are taking when in reality if they wanted it, addicts will find a way to get it. What went through your head when Billy died? I wish Solider hadn’t had to experience that, I also wish he would have just spoken up & advocated for himself - he didn’t offer the drugs to his friend, he just took them. I’m not sure how much that would have helped his case, but maybe would have lessened the punishment? How did you feel about Billy’s mother & what she said said as Solider was taken into custody? I think she was hurting, I couldn’t imagine losing my children. In the end though, she was wrong to say such hurtful things & it was good that she later apologized. 








Comments

Popular Posts