If She Knew (Book 1: Kate Wise) by Blake Pierce



Genre: Mystery, Thriller 
Format: ebook, Kindle
Pages: 178
Start Date: July 9, 2023
End Date: July 11, 2023

My Ratings
Overall: ★★★
Character Development: ★★★
Ending: ★★
Suspense Level: 🔪 
Pace: fast in parts, slow in parts 
Recommend: If it is free. 

Summary - Goodreads

     55 year old empty nester-and freshly retired FBI agent-Kate Wise finds herself drawn out of her quiet suburban life when her friend's daughter is murdered in a home invasion-and she is implored to help. Kate thought she left the FBI behind after 30 years as their top agent, respected for her brilliant mind, tough street skills and her uncanny ability to hunt down serial killers. Yet Kate, bored with the quiet town, at a crossroads in life, is summoned by a friend she can't turn down. As Kate hunts the killer, she soon finds herself at the forefront of a manhunt, as more bodies turn up-all suburban moms in perfect marriages-and it becomes apparent there is a serial killer stalking this quiet town. She unearths secrets from her neighbors she wishes she never knew, discovering that all is not what it seems in this picture of model streets and neighbors. Affairs and lying are rampant, and Kate must sift through the town's underbelly if she will stop the killer from striking again. But this killer is one step ahead of her, and it may end up being Kate who is in danger.

My Thoughts - Contains Spoilers, Continue at Your Own Risk

     This book was fine. It held my attention long enough to read it but it definitely did not blow me away. I think there were two things that really killed it for me: Kate Wise and the ending. 

     Ok, let's be frank bere, WE GET IT. Kate wise is AMAZING. I feel like the more and more praise she got the more I wondered if it was just filler to make the book longer. Just got a bit redundant for me, but I understand what the author was trying to convey to his readers. Her story just seemed so unoriginal. Plus, the more it was said about how much she hated retirement I just found myself asking why did you retire? THEN, when she did finally get the opportunity to rejoin the task force she was all of a sudden torn? Oh, THAT is when she started thinking about her daughter and granddaughter? It just seemed all cliche

     The other thing that bothered me was the ending. Kate just had a feeling it wasn't Julio. She had a feeling it was Daryl and provoked a murderer with no one to back her up? Then, he beats her up? I thought she was this master fighter and could take down giant body builders (as she did in the beginning of the book). It seemed just so random that it was a "look" in his eye.....that's what gave him away....a look. THEN if Taylor really was the main victim, why wouldn't you wait to kill her last? I don't understand that. Why is he thinking he has a small window to kill Taylor before her husband comes home if HE is the husband? Just leave that part out......

     I can't say much more than this book was fine. I didn't hate it, just read a bit clunky and left me annoyed more than wanting more. Also, what happened to the guy they initially arrested in Julie's murder? Why didn't Duran give Wise more time in a murder investigation that has resulted in ZERO evidence? If appearances were so important why would Duran put a rookie as Wise's partner? Better yet, why were her replacements rookies? I was left feeling like the book could have been proofread a few more times prior to publishing. Will I read any more in the series? Only if they are free.....

I'm Curious

  1. Why do you think Kate was so set on sabotaging her potential relationships?

  2. Did you feel like Kate did a 180 regarding Allen? Felt out of left field to me....

  3. Did you feel it was realistic that Kate would just continually disobey her superior, even when it would jeopardize her future with the FBI?

  4. Do you feel like there is more to Agent DeMarco we aren't getting? She seems like the perfect "mini Kate" yet apparently didn't work well with anyone else?

  5. Why do you feel like Daryl hated Taylor so much? Seemed like there was something we were missing......

Next Book: The Princess Spy by Larry Loftis

Comments

Popular Posts