The Wife Upstairs by Rachel Hawkins


Genre: Thriller, Suspense

Format: Digital
Pages: 290
Start Date: July 3rd, 2023
End Date: July 4th, 2023
Overall: ★★★★
Character Development: ★★★
Ending: ★★★
Recommend: Yes

🚨 Contains Spoilers, Continue at Your Own Risk 🚨

This book had been on my TBR for quite some time, so I was excited to read it! It’s a fast paced thriller, my go-to when I need to read something entertaining. Because isn’t reading supposed to be a fun escape from reality after all? Starting with the ending, I appreciated the twist, albeit predictable if you're an avid suspense reader such as myself 💁🏼‍♀️. Humble Brag. Were you surprised by the ending? I was waiting for some ball to drop, the wife was painted to prettily for her to be innocent. Her interactions with her “friends” were red flags. So I wasn’t surprised that Bea was the “bad guy”, but I was surprised that they left together. I believed Eddie had feelings for Jane, real feelings. Jane wasn’t really Jane at all, was this surprising to you? Not surprising, the author was pretty clear with the fact that Jane had been running from something or someone. I was surprised by the events that caused her to run. Heartbreaking to lose someone so close to you when you have nearly nothing else. Eddie chose Jane, against probably his better interest. Why do you think that he did? I think it’s because he saw some of himself in her. He approached Bea in a similar way to Jane approaching Eddie. They “needed” someone, for more than just companionship or love. I think he could see through her in a way that he himself felt “seen”. Similar to probably he eventually saw in Bea, a deep connection only similarities can uncover. Eddie attempted to “save” Bea by locking her up, but gave her the cold shoulder at first. Do you think he acted without thinking, without having a plan? He must have. Clearly he loved her & didn’t want her going to jail, but had zero plans. I think he gave her the cold shoulder because he struggled with being upset with her actions, with what she was capable of doing & being in love with her even still, knowing what she’d done. Bea’s actions were clearly thought out & not a crime of passion, does this impact how you feel about Eddie’s decision to try & “save” her? I’m surprised by this actions to try & “save” her from the consequences of her actions, if she’d been so willing to kill her friend & frame her friend’s husband how did he feel safe that she wouldn’t eliminate him if the need were to arise. In the end, Jane gets everything. Everything except Eddie. What are your thoughts on this? I think it allowed her to remain Jane, to live a more comfortable life, a life where she wasn’t having to hide, but I don’t think it solved her problems the way she thought it would. But the actions displayed by Bea & Eddie maybe taught her that love is a powerful thing. 

Next Book: The Connellys of County Down by Tracey Lange

Comments

Popular Posts