The Perfect Son by Frieda McFadden

Genre: Thriller
Format: Digital, Kindle
Pages: 371
Start Date: June 25th, 2023
End Date: June 26th, 2023
My Ratings
Overall: ★★★★
Character Development: ★★★★
Ending: ★★★
Suspense Level: 🔪🔪
Pace: Quick
Recommend: Yes

Summary - Goodreads
"Mrs. Cass, we were hoping your son could answer a few questions about the girl who disappeared last night..."

Erika Cass has a perfect family and a perfect life. Until the evening when two detectives show up at her front door. A high school girl has vanished from Erika's quiet suburban neighborhood. The police suspect the worst--murder. And Erika's teenage son, Liam, was the last person to see the girl alive. Erika has always sensed something dark and disturbed in her seemingly perfect older child. She wants to believe he's innocent, but as the evidence mounts, she can't deny the truth--Liam may have done the unthinkable. Now she must ask herself: How far will she go to protect her son?

My Thoughts - 🚨 Contains Spoilers, Continue at Your Own Risk 🚨
WELL! This is my first ever kindle read & I know that this blog isn't about my exeperience with an e-reader, but I'm going to tell you about anyway! Ha! I really enjoyed it, both the e-reader & the book. We follow along as Erika learns things about her family, things she thought she had all figured out. I had my theories of who did it, starting with Hannah being that actual culprit, then the Grandfather, & then the Dad (it's always the dad, isn't it?). I may have gone through a list of "could be's" but I knew it wasn't Liam, too obvious. 
I was secretly rooting for Liam, he seemed like a sweet kid. The ending however gives the suggestion that he wasn't. I know, they laid the land for you to think it was Liam all along, but couldn't he have been reciting something he heard his psychopath Father saying as a kid? I guess I don't know how likely it is for a Psychopath to also have a child with the same mental condition, I'll google that because I'm curious. I get why the Grandfather was brought into the story, but I felt like it was left dangling, I would have liked for Erika to welcome him & try to have a second chance with getting to know him now that everything in her life was "settled". I"m not sure if there is a sequel or if this was a stand alone, but I'd be interested to see if Liam turns out like his old man. 

I'm Curious

  1. Erika seemed to know her son Liam extremely well, do you think her focus on him & his issues blinded her from seeing her husband for who he truly was?
  2. Do you think from a parent's perspective that she did enough for Liam? Do you think she should have taken stronger precautions to keep him from people?
  3. Why do you think Hannah was suspicious of her Father? What made her follow him that night instead of any other night?
Next BookThe Devil Wears Scrubs by Frieda McFadden

Comments

Popular Posts