Ink Blood Sister Scribe by Emma Torzs





Genre: Fantasy
Format: Print, Hardcover
Pages: 416
Start Date: August 6th, 2023
End Date: August 21st, 2023

Overall: ★★★★ 
Character Development: ★★★★ 
 Ending: ★★★★
 Recommend: Yes!


 🚨 May Contain Spoilers, Continue at Your Own Risk 🚨

     Wow! I am so pleasantly surprised by this one. I don’t read fantasy, I didn’t even read Twilight when it was all the rage, but if this is what fantasy is about, count me in! It took a bit for me to get into it, but I think that is just due to three different storylines going on simultaneously….. three different main characters to develop. I thought the way the author tied up loose ends and had everything come full circle was done nicely; it didn’t feel like checking off plot-resolution boxes. Once the story really started to pick up, it was so hard to put this book down!

What were your initial thoughts starting the book? I really wasn’t too sure what to expect, honestly. I ended up pausing after a couple chapters to read something a bit lighter to give this a better chance. I was just hoping this didn’t turn out to feel like a chore to read. It definitely was NOT!

Did you feel there was more to Esther? That she wasn’t lacking magic as she described herself? I did have an inkling that there was more to Esther than just an ordinary child, but I wasn’t sure what I expected. I did waver a bit in those feelings, too. Once I read that Esther ripped up that magical book I knew she was a Scribe. Maybe it was obvious at that point? Not sure, but that is when it clicked for me.

What did you think of the description of magic and how it worked in this book? I loved it. It was so refreshing and such a fun take on the typical magical family. I think I just didn’t really know what to expect, so it was nice to be able to read this without any kind of preconceived notions about it.

Were you surprised by the little bit of romance thrown in at the end? Yes and no. I feel like I was expecting it a bit, but definitely not between Joanna and Collins. I actually thought maybe Joanna and Nicholas. Joanna seemed almost homely in my mind, and Collins just read as this hunky sex-god so they seemed like an odd couple. Nicholas also didn’t come across posh but more nerdy and quirky, so he seemed to fit better with Joanna. Not sure where or how I concluded those stereotypes for them but here we are. I also was glad for Esther and Pearl to have rekindled their relationship. It seemed like Pearl was really the first truly good and stable thing for Esther so I didn’t want her to lose that.

     Overall, this was a winner. I really wanted to push myself out of my typical genre this year and I’m really glad that I did with this one. I feel like this has a bit for everyone, honestly. Some romance in the beginning and end, some mystery with the Library and what happened to Abe, some thrills, some heartbreak, and overall a happy ending. 











Comments

Popular Posts