The Connellys of County Down by Tracey Lange


Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Format: Print, Hardcover
Pages: 288
Start Date: July 6th, 2023
End Date: July 11th, 2023
Overall: ★★★★ 
Character Development: ★★★
Ending: ★★★ 

🚨 Contains Spoilers, Continue at Your Own Risk 🚨 

I almost skipped July’s Book of the Month, I wasn’t “wowed” with my choices, but I needed to snag ‘Ink Blood Sister Scribe’ because I didn’t get it the month it was actually offered . . . So I chose this book - partly because of the summary provided & partly because the cover was pretty. I’m shallow when it comes to books, sue me.  It had a slower start, I found myself putting it down more often than I would say a thriller. Once I got into it though, I did start to like it more. I do have to address the funny (to me) coincidence of the officers name being Brian Nolan & that he kinda dated an Ashley - only missing a Charlotte & it would have been every name in my family. Do you do that too? Notice names of those important people in your lives in the books you read? Back to the book - Did you think it was odd that Nolan came to the prison to apologize to Tara? Seems like a risky move, to come to the PRISON to apologize & he was apologizing for how it went down, but clearly there was more behind this. Enough to risk his job for. Did you think Tara was innocent of the crimes? I had a feeling she wasn’t guilty of long time trafficking, I suspected she was getting drugs for her brother. That maybe they couldn’t afford the medicine that he needed to cope with his brain injury. Did you see her sister’s issue with “collecting” right away? I immediately pegged her as a hoarder, I think it’s common in people who’ve experienced trauma in childhood. Now, I say that with ZERO experience other than TLC’s “educational” television program. Did you struggle with supporting the budding love between Tara & Brian & thinking it’s a REALLY bad idea? I wanted them to be together, but I was really thinking it wasn’t a great idea. I mean his job & her freedom is on the line here. I guess love is blind or whatever. Would you have taken the fall for your siblings the way Tara did for her brother & was prepared to for her sister? Eh, probably not. I understand a little bit more why she did it for her brother, he had a child to care for. But I think Geraldine needed that reality check of being in trouble to get her act together. I know that she had a lot of pressure placed on her from a young age, but I just don’t really think it’s an excuse to take & hide $10k - call me crazy.  Final thoughts … I’m glad I gave this book a chance & it’s one I’d recommend if you’re looking for something deep & thoughtful.  
 
 Next Book: ARC: Lavender Letters by Ayla Simone

Comments

Popular Posts