It Happened One Summer by Tessa Bailey



Genre: Contemporary Romance
Format: Print, Paperback
Pages: 385
Start Date: June 10th, 2023
End Date: June 14th, 2023

My Ratings
Overall: ★★★(★)
Character Development: ★★★
Ending: ★★★
Spice Level: 🌶🌶🌶 
Tear Jerk-ability: 💧
Pace: Easy/Quick
Recommend: Yes

Summary - Good Reads

    Piper Bellinger is fashionable, influential, and her reputation as a wild child means the paparazzi are constantly on her heels. When too much champagne and an out-of-control rooftop party lands Piper in the slammer, her stepfather decides enough is enough. So he cuts her off, and sends Piper and her sister to learn some responsibility running their late father’s dive bar... in Washington.

     Piper hasn’t even been in Westport for five minutes when she meets big, bearded sea captain Brendan, who thinks she won’t last a week outside of Beverly Hills. So what if Piper can’t do math, and the idea of sleeping in a shabby apartment with bunk beds gives her hives. How bad could it really be? She’s determined to show her stepfather—and the hot, grumpy local—that she’s more than a pretty face.

     Except it’s a small town and everywhere she turns, she bumps into Brendan. The fun-loving socialite and the gruff fisherman are polar opposites, but there’s an undeniable attraction simmering between them. Piper doesn’t want any distractions, especially feelings for a man who sails off into the sunset for weeks at a time. Yet as she reconnects with her past and begins to feel at home in Westport, Piper starts to wonder if the cold, glamorous life she knew is what she truly wants. LA is calling her name, but Brendan—and this town full of memories—may have already caught her heart. 

Tessa Bailey is back with a Schitt’s Creek-inspired rom-com about a Hollywood “It Girl” who is cut off from her wealthy family and exiled to a small Pacific Northwest beach town... where she butts heads with a surly, sexy local who thinks she doesn’t belong.

My Thoughts - Contains Spoilers, Continue at Your Own Risk

     I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It's definitely Schitt's Creek meets any and every chick-flick you've ever watched, but I don't say that neccissarily negatively. The sex scenes caught me a little off guard as to how graphic they were, but I don't read a ton of smut (really any). I think it mostly caught me off guard because I didn't realize this book was "smutty"..... Is that a word? Either way, didn't hate them, ha. 

     I did like that the author wrote Piper likeable, overall. Even though she was spoiled and whiny in the beginning, she always seemed to have a good heart and positive intentions. I sort of anticipated her to start off being this stuck up privileged brat that then evolved into a normal human being. I feel like it helped me root for her along side Brendan. 

     If I was more computer savvy, I would figure out exactly how to do it, but I would give this 3.5 stars. I am excited to read the second book.

Ashley's Questions:

  1. What did you think of Piper & Hannah's mother? Would you have strong feelings if your mother raised you with literally zero knowledge of you father? Assuming he was a good guy? I felt like this was so weird. She had the strength to be a fisherman's wife, yet not to actually cope with what she knew could happen? Then NEVER talk about it? Sketch. 

  2. Did you get the vibe that Mick truly believed Brendan needed to hold a candle for his daughter forever? Maybe I'm daft, but I didn't think he cared that much 🤷🏼‍♀️  I can see this. I also feel like Mick seemed to be set in his ways like Brendan and Desiree was his only child (that we know of). 

  3. Did Hannah's presence seem pointless to you? Other than her character being there to help give insight into Piper's life without relying on innermonoluges? Agreed. I hope that this is a precursor for the second book, and that there is more to the story between her and Fox!

I'm Curious

  1. Why do you think Brendan was so drawn to Piper? After 7 years alone it seems like an odd choice to pick someone so opposite of himself. Maybe the challenge was the appeal....

  2. Hannah and Piper; did you think their relationship was healthy? Seemed like Piper sort of ran wild and Hannah would always clean up the mess she made.....

  3. Did you feel like Daniel was unfair to Piper and Hannah about bailing on the bar's grand opening? I feel like he sent Piper to learn a lesson then sort of abandoned her when she proved she learned it. 

  4. On that note, how did you feel that Piper and Hannah's mother wouldn't come to the bar opening? What a slap in the face in my opinion....

  5. Do you feel like the author gave Piper a fair characterization in the beginning? I feel like she was painted this spoiled little brat, yet her true nature seemed very caring about others. Almost like she was just looking for someone to love her for her....

Next Book: Did You Hear About Kitty Karr by Crystal Smith Paul

Comments

Popular Posts