The Favorite Sister by Jessica Knoll



Genre: Thriller
Format: Paperback
Pages: 400
Start Date: March 3, 2023
End Date: March 20, 2023

My Ratings
Overall: ★
Character Development: ★★
Ending: ★★
Spice Level: 🌶
Suspense Level: 🔪
Tear Jerk-ability: 💧
Pace: Slow
Recommend: No
Tiggers: Suicide, Abuse, Rape

Summary In My Words

     Goal Diggers is a reality television show following five women and their self made success. Each have a different story, but all of them have one thing in common; they all are harboring secrets they don't want exposed. As you learn more and more about each character, it becomes apparent that any one or more of them could be capable of murder.... Could it be the tree hugging vegan, who is actually far from being a vegan? The alcoholic who had to step down as CEO of her family's company due to a tabloid story? The jealous sister who was left broke and struggling, while raising a daughter alone? The jealous best friend who potentially has the most to lose if the truth came out? Or the show's producer who will do anything for ratings?

My Thoughts - Contains Spoilers, Continue at Your Own Risk

     Where to begin.... First off, I did NOT enjoy this book. I don't necessarily think it was due to the writing, but this book was classified as a thriller and it was anything but. If I am going to read a thriller, I expect to be "thrilled"....sitting on the edge of my seat....unable to put the book down. I really had to push myself to pick up the book and keep reading it, because it was an STRUGGLE! I just felt like the character development and the storyline just took too long to get to the point. 

     The book starts off right away in the present day, telling you Brett was the one who was murdered. I got excited, feeling like I was teased into the main plot of the story right fom the beginning. After that it was all about character development and setting up the storyline. Unfortunately, that took the entire book to do. Each chapter was written from a different character's perspective, revisiting the past to help piece together the events of present day. Unfortunately, I felt like there were no characters in the story I was "rooting" for, which mostly contributed to why I didn't like the book. 

     Stephanie, for me, was the hardest character to read about. I feel like the way she spoke about her husband was very off-putting, even if he was a freeloading moocher. She made comments about him being lazy, only wanting her for her fame and success (which probably was true to be honest), and how paying this celebrity trainer still wasn't changing her husbands less than ideal physic. I also didn't love how she spoke about his infidelities, even though she wasn't faithful herself. I really struggled to believe that this strong, empowered woman would stay with such a freeloader for the sake of her "image". The last straw for me was really when I found out that Stephanie lied in her autobiography. At that point, there was nothing left for me to like. 

     Brett and Kelly were an interesting duo. I couldn't figure out why Kelly was so loyal to Brett, when it seemed their relationship was always so strained and on eggshells. I understand Kelly probably felt indebted to Brett, giving her a job and ultimately a spot on the show (intentional or not). Really, Kelly was just too whiny and insecure for me. Brett came across very self absorbed and almost entitled. Almost like she deserve all of the handouts she received, yet she contributed those handouts to her "hard work". Brett does make a comment in the beginning of the book that I did really like; "I'm showing young girls that you don't have to be beautiful to matter.". I felt like it was refreshing that there was some kind of positive message amist all the drama. Still, it wasn't enough to get me on her side, rooting for her.

     I think ultimately my biggest hurdle with the book was it was too dramatic, but not in a good way. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my share of dramatic guilty pleasures, but I feel like there was zero relief from it in the book. The women were too fake and catty, always trying to tear each other down to get ahead. They play games and pit each other against each other for the sake of keeping their name in the spot light. I'm sure there is truth to it from people in real life, but maybe that was part of what exhausted me about the book. I just feel like I was left with "icky" vibes whenever I put the book down.

I'm Curious

  1. How did you feel about the feud between Stephanie and Brett? Fake or real, do you think you would have been upset if your best friend didn't pass along your book to a celebrity?

  2. What was your impression of Kelly? Do you feel like she was overprotective of Layla? Do you feel like that was shaped by how her mother treated her, or by the fact that maybe she regretted having Layla?

  3. How did you feel when you found out Stephanie lied about her past in her book? Did it change your impression of her after it was revealed that the abuse she "endured" actually didn't happen?

  4. Do you think if you were Kelly, you would've stayed quiet about your sister pretending to be a lesbian? Especially when it wasn't just Brett's behavior she was covering for, but another person in the relationship, Arch?

  5. What do you think about Kelly keeping quiet about the truth of what really happened? Do you feel like you could have went along with the cover up of who actually murdered your sister?

Next BookQueen of Thieves by Beezy Marsh

Comments

Popular Posts