The Soulmate by Sally Hepworth


Genre: 
Thriller, Suspense
Format: Print, Hardcover
Pages: 324
Start Date: March 10th, 2023
End Date: March 15th, 2023
My Ratings
Overall: ★★★★
Character Development: ★★★★★
Ending: ★★★
Suspense Level: 🔪
Pace: Medium
Tiggers: Talk of Suicide

Summary In My Words

We follow the story through perspectives of Pippa & Amanda. Overtime we discover the betrayal, deceit, & eventually the breakdown of one relationship with the person she was convinced was her everything & the realization of assuming & miscalculation of the other. Keep reading to see which woman gets the reality check of an enevitble ending & which woman finds their peace.

My Thoughts - Contains Spoilers, Continue at Your Own Risk

This book isn't exactly what I expected, I personally wouldn't have called it a thriller. It was slower paced than I expected it to be & I never felt like I was "at the edge of my seat". With that said, I did still like the story. I liked how the author wrote from two perpectives so that we could get two different stories that piece together for a larger story. I thought she did a good job of painting the picture of these women's lives & how hindsight is 20/20. 

I couldn't help but think of all the women like Pippa that truly exisit - willing their partners to be who they need, lying to themselves in the process. All of the women like Amanda, worried that their partner isn't faithful & being wrong - only finding out once it's too late. 

The story between Gabe & Max was an interesting one. I kept wondering "how could this all have gone differently" - what would have happened in Max just told Gabe who he was. Surely Gabe could have understood that family is complicated, but just because the others didn't seem concerned with knowing him, Max did. 

The ending surprised me, Max ending his life the exact way he hated - all to be with his wife & to save the life of his nephew. While I don't think Gabe should have gotten away with murder (literally) the second chance he was given by Max taking the fall saved his life, like Max wished he could have done for his brother. Heartbreaking & beautiful all at once.

I'm Curious

  1. Were you expecting Asha to be the child of another woman? I was trying to do the math as secrets were being revealed because something just wasn't adding up & I still was surprised by that realization.

  2. Amanda seemed to have sacrificed some of her wants in life for her husband. Do you think you'd be as willing to sacrifice some for your partner, if they could promise you your biggest want?

  3. Pippa's family seems to know that Gabe is "imperfect". Why do you think it takes so long for them to say so to her? Do you think they were right to just support VS pointing out to her that he might not be what she thinks he is?

  4. Were you curious like I was about what Gabe thought when he realized who Max really was? I wish they had given us his perspective on that realization. 

  5. What do you think of HOW Max decided to be in Gabe's life? Do you think a lot could have been avoided if he had just come clean from the beginning?

Next BookThe Great Alone by Kristin Hannah

Comments

Popular Posts