The Christie Affair by Nina de Gramont


Genre: Historical Fiction
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 320
Start Date: February 11, 2023
End Date: February 24, 2023

My Ratings
Overall: ★★★
Character Development: ★★★★
Ending: ★★
Spice Level: 
Suspense Level: 
Tear Jerk-ability: 💧
Put Down-ability: Medium
Readability: Slow start
Tiggers: 

Summary In My Words

     In 1926 Agatha Christie vanishes into thin air for 11 days. When she is found, her only explanation offered is, "I can't remember". Nan O'Dea is the mistress of Agatha Christie's husband, Archibald Christie, and the book is written from Nan's perspective. As Nan recounts the events leading up to Agatha's disappearance, as well as 11 days she was gone, you quickly realize that Nan may have had alterior motives for starting a relationship with Archie in the first place. 

My Thoughts - Contains Spoilers, Continue at Your Own Risk

     I found the narrorating of the book quite interesting, as Nan just speaks to you plainly. I felt as if we were friends, sitting at tea time and she is recounting this story from her past or even that I could have been reading her personal journal. As much as I liked the style of how this book was written, it left me questioning the reliability of the narrator. As she recounts the events that had happened, I couldn't help but wonder if she could be fully trusted. With that, I questioned a lot right from the beginning; Did she really love Archie? Was Teddy really Genevieve or was Nan so driven by her motivation to find her lost daughter that it clouded her judgment? Even when the answers were revealed by the end of the book, I felt like I couldn't fully believe them to be true. I personally was left questioning the fact Genevieve and Tedder were one and the same.

     One thing I did enjoy about the book were the twisty adventure Nan took me on. I think that part of what contributed to my surprise was I just didn't see the mystery coming. I had no idea that Bess was Lizzie, or the bitter married couple Bess's sister and brother-in-law. I was shocked the Martsons's were Sister Mary Clare and Father Joseph. I did suspect there was more to the story coming between "Lizzie" and "Mr. Martson" when the narrator revealed the coldness from Lizzie towards Mr. Marion when he entered the dining room. Another tip off was then when Lizzie and Donny suddenly departed back to America. Seemed like such a long journey to cut it short. I can understand murder would prompt someone to leave.... it would prompt me to leave as soon as possible.... but wouldn't you find somewhere else to go? Another sight to see? Seemed suspicious to me.

     I was disappointed in the ending. I do appreciate the author trying to tie up all the loose ends for its reader, the issue I had with that comes back to the reliability of the narrator. I feel like the ending that Nan tells us about Agatha could've been written more from what Nan hoped for Agatha, as opposed to "creating" the story for her. The "magic" of Chilton getting the use of his other arm again was a little eye rolling to me. As I appreciated the effort to give everyone a happy ending, I felt that Nan really didn't know the ending the Chilton and Agatha's story. She makes mention of altering the narrative, such as "...while we are at it, let's give him back the use of his left arm." Personally it took away from the fantasy and hope you had for Agatha and Chilton. I guess it just left me with more disbelief than I would have hoped for.

     Overall, I did enjoy the book. I felt the beginning was a little slow to get going and it took a good portion of the book to really get the plot across. I was also disappointed that Nan and Finbarr didn't end up together. As I understand Nan's reasoning....Genevieve....I was still hoping that Finbarr would win Nan back and somehow Archie would be left in the dust by everyone. Now, I did know what happened in the real life version, so I wasn't neccissarily surprised Nan ended up marrying Archie. Especially since Nan's character is based off of Archies real life mistress Nancy Neele. Still, there was a part of me that hoped for the happy ended I felt Nan deserved.

I'm Curious

  1. How did you feel about Nan initially? It is her story, but at the same time she is the "other woman". Did you ever wonder if any of the facts presented were painted rosier given they were coming from Nan?

  2. In the middle to end of the book, Agatha and Nan become friendly. Do you ever feel like that may have been a little far fetched given Nan was sleeping with Archie? Maybe I could see being cordial later as they would be co-parenting together. Just seeemed like their relationship turned positive awfully fast to me.

  3. Do you think if you were Finbarr and there was even a slight possibility you knew where your daughter was, could you just leave and never try to pursue a relationship with her? 

  4. Did Nan ever give you the impression you couldn't trust her? That maybe her drive and determination clouded the truth? That her role and acting made her less reliable?

  5. How did you feel about Agatha? Did you feel like she was manipulative or entitled? Given this is Nan's perspective of her, did you feel like Agatha's character shifted at all as you read the book? Or that maybe Nan painted Agatha weaker than she really was?

Next BookThe Favorite Sister by Jessica Knoll

Comments

Popular Posts