A Slow Burning Fire by Paula Hawkins


Genre: 
Mystery, Suspense
Format: Print, Paperback
Pages: 400
Start Date: February 25th, 2023
End Date: March 1st, 2023
My Ratings
Overall: ★★★★
Character Development: ★★★
Ending: ★★★
Suspense Level: 🔪🔪🔪
Pace: Medium
Tiggers: Child Loss, Mental Health

Summary In My Words

Daniel Sutherland is found dead in his boat on the canal by his neighbor, Miriam. Follow along as the tangled web of connections between people sort themselves out as the search for the murderer takes way. 

My Thoughts - Contains Spoilers, Continue at Your Own Risk

This book had A LOT going on. It seemed as though all of the characters lives mixed or crossed in some way, I even had to make a map to keep track of who knew one another. The connections all lead back to Daniel in some way, but the more interesting part was how they connected to one another. Laura is a troubled young woman, Miriam is an angry older woman with a bone to pick, & Carla is a grieving mother, sister, & aunt. 

This story unfold how they know or come to know one another & how those connections lead to the death of Daniel. This book didn't wow me, it was a slower pace than I prefer for a thriller. While I appreciate all the detail provided, it boardered "too much" drowning the storyline with too many details can be as bad as not providing enough. I realize for the sake of character development, the details were needed - but I kept feeling as if we were getting so far from the murder of Daniel that I wondered why his death mattered at all to the story. I think the ending wrapped it all up in a nice little package, but the journey there was a slightly borning one in the terms of a "thriller". 

I'm Curious

  1. Did you think that Daniel was responsible for the death of his cousin? If so, why do you think no one turned him in? Is it possible they thought it was in his best interest?

  2. Miriam seemed to have quite the story, why do you think it is she never shared her story with anyone else? Why do you think it is that no one recognized the story in Theo's book?

  3. Do you think Theo was wrong for "stealing" Miriam's story or do you think it's a broad enough topic to take creative liberties with?

Next BookNever, Never by Colleen Hoover & Taryn Fisher

Comments

Popular Posts