My Husband’s Girlfriend by Sheryl Browne


Genre:
 Thriller, Suspense
Format: Paperback, Print
Pages: 301
Start Date: January 5th, 2023
End Date: January 9th, 2023
My Ratings
Overall: ★★★★
Character Development: ★★★★
Ending: ★★★
Suspense Level: 🔪🔪
Put Down-ability: Easy
Readability: Somewhat Difficult, Slow Read

Summary In My Words

Sarah & Steve are divorced, but they share time with their son Ollie. We follow their lives as they navigate life after divorce. Steve appears to move on fast, planning to move in with his new girlfriend Laura. Sarah is also seeing someone, Joe, but she has her reservations about Laura & the more she learns about her - the more uncomfortable Sarah gets. 

My Thoughts - Contains Spoilers, Continue at Your Own Risk

WOW, WOW, WOW - this book was S-L-O-W. I can appreciate that the author was building the characters for the multiple twists at the end, but so much of the information was repeated it felt like beating a dead horse. I like a book that can keep me guessing, but man I wish we had gotten to the point a little sooner & maybe spent more than the 10 seconds on the "who & why" of the book, I NEED ANSWERS PEOPLE!

My guess for the ending was 1/2 right - I had a feeling that Laura was the mother to Jacob & not his sister. I predicted that her step-father killed the boy to avoid being persecuted for being the father, turns out he killed him “just because” they don’t go into why exactly - just that the child cried & step-daddy didn't like it. Moving onto Laura’s mother, her character annoyed me for many reasons - how realistic is it that someone coming from poverty working in a stable (where she meets Grant, her husband) to working as a Fashion Writer for a big magazine wearing Dior? - unless I suppose she purchased her way in, but why work at all if you're rich & seem to not have a work ethic considering you're a gold digger & all. 

Laura's issues, causing her off behavior & sleepwalking, make sense to me - but how is that the main focus? Losing a child is traumatic, this I have no doubt about, especially if your family is the culprit. BUT WHY IS SHE NOT TALKING ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED TO HER TO HAVE HAD THE CHILD IN THE FIRST PLACE?!? I feel like that little tidbit of information was just glazed over & it all seemed to be no big deal. Huge deal if you ask me! 

Steve is a real ride or die - if Sarah had been able to provide him with that same level of commitment they wouldn't have found themselves in this sticky situation.

I'm Curious

  1. Were you immediately suspicious of Laura? What were the things that were most alarming to you?

  2. Did you think Sarah was selfish or do you think because of how things went, she was justified for being so alarmed by Laura? She appeared all consumed in the fact that Laura was danergous, but never once considered that Joe could be an issue for her ex-husband.

  3. WHY ON EARTH would Laura protect those people in her life? It was literally driving her mad, if she knew & they were consistently ruining her life why didn't she just turn them in?

  4. Joe - can we talk about how this man knew his wife was cheating WELL before she left him & just let it slide? Is it just me or is Joe giving pathetic vibes? Would you be as calm if you knew your partner was being unfaithful? He also seemed fine with Sarah treating him like trash, was this man the ultimate pushover?

  5. Were you surprised by the ending or did you guess what would happen correctly?

Next BookThe Butterfly House by Katrine Engberg

Comments

Popular Posts