A Flicker in the Dark by Stacy Willingham



Genre: Psychological Thriller, Suspense
Format: Hardcover, print
Pages: 357
Start Date: January 13th, 2023
End Date: January 24th, 2023

My Ratings
Overall: ★★★★
Character Development: ★★★★
Ending: ★★★★
Spice Level: 
Suspense Level: 🔪🔪🔪
Tear Jerk-ability: 
Readability: Easy, Quick Read

Summary In My Words

Chloe Davis was only 12 when her father was convicted and sentenced to life in prison for the murder of six teenage girls. 20 years later, Chloe owns her own practice as a psychologist and is planning her wedding to her wonderful fiancé, Daniel. Everything seems to be "normal" until another girl goes missing. Now, Chloe is questioning everything from the past that she has tried to put behind her....

My Thoughts - Contains Spoilers, Continue at Your Own Risk

I felt this book was written well, it really grabbed my attention right from the beginning. The story had great background and character development, all while introducing the main plot of the story quickly. I like how the author portrayed Chloe as this broken, traumatized heroine, yet she was self aware enough of her damage that she wasn't irritating to read about.It did slow down a bit in the middle of the book for me. The chaos of Chloe spiraling and the constant perspective shifts seemed to keep me sucked in. 

I did guess the ultimate plot twist by chapter 10, but the twists and turns were so surprising and unexpected that I still enjoyed the journey. Maybe I have just read too many books that have the same storyline that it's hard to surprise me. Still, I found myself eagerly anticipating the next time I would get to read just one more page!

I'm Curious

  1. How would you react as Dick Davis finding the box in your son's floor boards? Do you think you could keep something like that from your significant other, even if it was just for a short period of time?

  2. Do you think that Chloes inhibited sense of reality contributed to her off the handle, "fly by the seat of her pants" theories and behavior?

  3. How do you feel about Chloes ease in trusting Aaron Jensen? The author writes her character as hesitant and closed off, yet she seems to open up to him fairly quickly. Do you think that was contributed to any kind of subconscious familiarity she may have had towards him?

  4. As the reader, did you ever feel like you couldn't trust Chloe or her perception of things? Her relationships? Her surroundings? Her perception of herself?

Next Book: What Lies in the Woods by Kate Alice Marshall

Comments

Popular Posts